Tuesday, March 6, 2012

TED 2012: Secrets

Frank Warren runs postsecret.com.  He had a quirky idea.  Get people to send him their most intimate secrets – secrets they've never shared before – and he'd publish them anonymously on his web site.  Since launch, people have sent over half a million postcards. They've been making their own clever postcards in tune with the message.  Secrets range from humorous, to quixotic, to shocking, to touching to absolutely heart-wrenching.
 
Many cards were quite humourous.  The card you can see above was written on a flattened-out Starbucks cup:  “I give decaf to customers who are rude to me”.    Some descend to bathroom humour, like this one from the site:


Some were quite poignant: “Everyone who knew me before 9/11 thinks I’m dead", or "Dear Birthmother.  I have great parents.  I found love. I'm happy." 

As I sit writing this post, I notice several on the site that discuss relationships:

















  Or this one, that led to a long-overdue reunion:

 Some even make a political statement:

 I think I'll visit this site from time to time when I have a few minutes to spare.  Warren claims it's the most-visited non-advertising-supported site.  I can see why.







No comments: