Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hot Docs Festival

It's that time of year when I veer away from TED discussions and inject some reviews of Hot Docs films into this blog.

In the past, I've tended to have about 90% or better hit rate of films I love at Hot Docs. This year, I got the 10% cleared early!

My first film was General Orders No. 9, an elegy to the passing of the South as interstates and big cities dehumanize the old towns. I chose this film because it had won the Cinematography Award at Sundance. It did have some beautiful shots, but, in my personal opinion, not that nice! To say the film's pace was langorous would be to overstate the pace; it felt like a series of still photographs dissolving into each other, with some narration and music in the background. Despite some beautiful scenery, I couldn't recommend this movie to anyone.

No comments: